Dampfnudeln are a legendary culinary speciality from Bavaria. They are easy to prepare if you are patient and not too inquisitive, because during the whole cooking process you are not allowed to take the lid off the cooking pot. Never ever!
What makes Dampfnudeln so special is the mixture of the crunchy base and the soft texture due to the fact that they are first steamed and then seared.
If you feel full after this very rich meal take a digestive break and read “Dampfnudel Blues”, a Bavarian crime story written by Rita Falk. Or, listen to the audiobook, which I can highly recommend, or watch the movie!
Ingredients for the dough:
- 500 g flour
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ l milk
- 20 g yeast
- 2 eggs
- 50 g butter in small pieces
- 50 g sugar
Ingredients for the cooking procedure:
- 50 g fat or butter
- ¼ l milk or water
- 20 g sugar
- a pinch of salt
Ingredients for the vanilla sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 g starch
- ½ l milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 30 g sugar
1. Put the flour in a bowl and make a hollow. Crumble the yeast into the hollow and add sugar, butter and a pinch of salt on the flour edge.
Pour in some lukewarm milk, sprinkle a touch of flour on top of the yeast, and mix this into a pre-dough
2. Cover the bowl and set it aside in a warm place for ~20 min. Add the remaining milk and the egg yolks and knead all together until the dough no longer sticks to your hands.
3. Form ~8 balls (Dampfnudeln), cover them, and let them rise again for another ~40 min in a warm place.
4. Boil up all the ingredients for the cooking procedure in a well sealable pot and place the Dampfnudeln on the bottom of the pot with a little bit of space between them.
Cook them at a low heat for about 25-30 min. During the whole cooking process do not lift up the saucepan lid !
When all of the liquid is evaporated the pot will start to crackle. Remove the lid and wait another 10 mins until they have formed a brown crust. Now they are perfect ! Well done.
5. For the vanilla sauce stir the egg yolks, the starch and a little bit of the milk until they form a smooth sauce. Boil the remaining milk and the vanilla marrow. Add the sugar and the egg yolk starch mix, let it swell and then sieve it.
Enjoy this sweet Bavarian dish an Guten Appetit!