A recipe my mother gave me when I left my parents' house at the age of 21 to live in another city. Children in particular will like it if it is served with sweet semolina dumplings or with vanilla sauce.
Ingredients (2 persons):
- 375 g elderberries
- 1 litre of water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 peeled apples cut into thin slices
- 30 g potato flour (Modamin / Maizena)
1. Remove the washed elderberries from the panicles with a fork and crush them.
2. Boil briefly (15 min) with just under 1 litre of water, the cinnamon stick and the apples cut into slices. Pass through a sieve and bring to the boil again.
3. Thicken with the cold mixed starch. *
4. Sweeten with sugar.
5. Serve with homemade vanilla pudding or sweet semolina.
Topping: If you want to be extra kind to the hungry guests, add brioche crumbs roasted in butter until crispy, shortly before serving.
* Tip: stir the starch with cold water with a fork. Start with a little water, otherwise there will be a bit of a mess , then dilute with more cold water until it is liquid enough and can be poured into the elderberry soup. Stir constantly while pouring and heat again briefly.
The semolina dumplings:
- 190 ml milk
- 190 ml cream
- 75 g butter
- 30 grammes sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- 100 g durum wheat semolina
- 2 eggs
1. Bring the milk to the boil together with the cream, butter, sugar, the scraped-out vanilla pod and the orange peel.
2. Take the saucepan off the stove and slowly stir in the semolina. Warm up the semolina again with the lowest amount of heat, stirring constantly, until it solidifies.
3. Put the semolina in a shallow bowl and work in the eggs with a fork. Chill for about 4 hours.
4. After the cooling time to cook the dumplings, bring plenty of lightly sugared water to the boil in a saucepan.
5. Now cut out the dumplings from the cooled semolina dough with two tablespoons *. Then cook them in the sugar water for 10 minutes. The water must not bubble. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
6. Place in the already prepared elderberry soup in the plate and sprinkle with the roasted crumbs.
Photo 1: ©Ulrike Holsten